The SPCA de l’Outaouais picks up the remains of pets and small wild animals on municipal roads (racoons, skunks, etc.). You can contact the SPCA directly at 819-243-2004. For animal remains on provincial roadways, call the Ministry of Transportation at 511.

The SPCA de l’Outaouais ensures compliance with pet by-laws. To file a complaint, call them directly at 819 243-2004.

You can get a dog tag ($20) either by completing the SPCA de l’Outaouais’ online form at https://spca-outaouais.org/en/licenses/purchase or coming to our municipal offices.

If you see a wild animal in your neighbourhood, contact Québec’s ministère de la Faune, des Forêts et des Parcs du Québec directly at 819 246-4827.

Le castor est un rongeur présent sur la grande majorité du territoire québécois. Il est reconnu pour sa capacité à modifier le paysage et les cours d’eau par la construction de barrages. Périodiquement, ces constructions peuvent menacer les infrastructures humaines ou inonder des terres privées. Il peut donc être nécessaire d’atténuer les impacts des barrages par des interventions préventives et parfois de déplacer, effaroucher ou même éliminer les castors déprédateurs et retirer les barrages. Ces travaux, bien qu’importants, voire urgents, peuvent cependant modifier l’habitat du poisson, affecter les riverains et détruire des habitats fauniques. Il est donc essentiel de procéder correctement afin de ne pas contrevenir à diverses lois et mettre en péril des habitats fauniques et des propriétés humaines.

Pour toute requête relative au libre écoulement des eaux, veuillez vous adresser directement à la MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais, par courriel à gestioneau@mrcdescollines.com ou par téléphone au 819 827-0516 poste 2290 ou au 819 712-7857.

Community mailboxes

Contact Canada Post at 1-800-267-1177 for information on mailboxes and mailbox keys.

Day camps

Yes. Day camps are offered during the summer and the March break.

School service centres

For our French-language schools, call the Centre de services scolaire des Draveurs at 819-663-9221; for our English-language school in Poltimore, see Western Québec School Board.

Garbage collection

Simply consult the  collection calendar on our website.

Yes, you can bring your household hazardous waste to 28, chemin de la Pêche in Val‑des‑Monts.

The Écocentre is open from May 1 to September 30 every year. Hours are Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. To contact the Écocentre, call 819-457-4086.

You can usually drop off your empty or expired propane tanks where they’re sold. That said, the household hazardous waste centre at 28, chemin de la Pêche in Val‑des‑Monts also takes them.

Services sanitaires Richard Lanthier handles our garbage and recycling; you can reach them at 819-664-2469.

Bulky waste refers to commercial or non-industrial garbage that, because of its size, volume or weight, can’t be picked up at the same time as regular household waste or residuals. Note as well that construction and demolition waste (structural and finishing lumber, windows, etc.) are not considered as bulky waste.

You must bring construction/renovation waste to a dry-material site (a landfill).

No. Val-des-Monts switched to residential composting in 2018, so we don’t collect compostable material, and every residence must have a household composting unit.

Municipal Council

To view the list of all municipal councillors, click on Municipal Council in the navigation menu of our website.

You can find your district or sector by consulting the Districts page under and then Municipal Council on our website.


Firstly, make sure that the fine in question has been issued by the MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais police service.


You can pay through the de la MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais  website or through Desjardins or the National Bank. You can also mail a cheque or money order to this address: 216, chemin Old Chelsea, Chelsea (Québec)  J9B 1J4.


Dropping off documents

Yes. Our grey drop-off box is to the right of the main entrance of the municipal office (town hall) at 1, route du Carrefour, Val‑des‑Monts (Québec)  J8N 4E9. If you leave you documents there outside of regular office hours, they’ll be retrieved on the next business day.

Road maintenance

We apply dust suppressant twice a year: in the spring (May-June) and later in the summer (August-September). Because the weather determines when we can apply, we don’t set specific dates for the work.

These thoroughfares are under provincial jurisdiction. For questions or information, contact Québec’s Ministry of Transportation at 819-772-3849 or 511 on your cell.

Levelling takes place every two weeks in the summer, if needed. In the spring, fall and winter, we perform levelling as the need arises.

To contact Public Works on weeknights, call 819-457-9400, select Option 2, followed by Option 1. For emergencies, contact the police at 9-1-1.  

In winter, you can reach the on-duty supervisor at 819-457-9400, then select Option 2, followed by Option 1.

Power outages

If the power goes out anywhere, contact  Hydro Québec. 

To find out the extent of the power outage and when service will be restored, consult this link.

Parks and outdoor activities

Yes. Our public slipways  are on Lake McGregor (2, chemin Pélissier) and Lake Saint-Pierre (2048, route Principale). Fees apply to both residents and non-residents, and the amount depends on how your watercraft is powered (its motor).


Oui. La station de nettoyage libre-service, fonctionnelle à compter de l’ouverture des rampes de mise à l’eau municipale et à l’ouverture de la pêche, est située à même le site de l’hôtel de ville au 1, route du Carrefour, Val-des-Monts (Québec) J8N 4E9.

Ce service est offert gratuitement par la Municipalité.

Yes. We have a Une plage publique supervised by a lifeguard and equipped with picnic tables on Lake Saint-Pierre,       (1214, route Principale, Val-des-Monts).

Nakkertok Park is in the Saint-Pierre Sector at 62, route du Carrefour, Val-des-Monts, Québec,  J8N 4E9.

Permits and certificates

Fully and properly completed permit applications take 30 calendar days to process.

You don’t normally need a permit for the projects below, but you must still comply with applicable regulatory provisions:

  1. Landscaping not affecting shorelines

  2. Gazebo measuring no more than 10 sq. metres 
  3. Storage sheds no more than five metres square metres
  4. Retaining walls that are no more than 60 cm high
  5. Playhouses or play structures
  6. Refuse boxes and lampposts
  7. Niches or enclosures
  8. Roof replacement
  9. Paint and varnish work
  10. Eavestrough replacement and cornice (or overhang) replacement
  11. TV or parabolic antenna less than 0.90 m in diameter
  12. Temporary winter vehicle shelter (October 15 to April 15)
  13. Community waste or recyclables shed made of metal, wood or vinyl and measuring fewer than five square metres; the shed can be in the front setback, but not within traffic rights of way.

See the previous question, which deals with projects that don’t require permits. All others do require one.

You can apply for your business permit or have it renewed every year directly on Val-des-Monts’ website ici.

Business permit applications go to the Environment and Urban Planning Service, and the fees break down as follows:

·         $100 for resident businesses

·         $400 for non-resident businesses

·         $75 for annual renewals for both resident and non-resident businesses.

The breakdown of permit costs is  ici.

Yes, but if the shed is bigger than five square metres, you need a permit before installing it. You also always need to comply with setback specifications (distance from street lines), even if your shed is smaller than five square metres.

You need a felling permit to cut down dead or dangerous trees inside the 15-metre shoreline buffer zone alongside lakes, waterways and wetlands. The protective buffer zone stretches inward from the natural high-water mark as measured by a surveyor or a biologist. 

In addition, if you plan to cut down the equivalent of 100 cords of wood or more every year (a cord measures about eight feet long, four feet high and four feet deep), you must first acquire a felling permit from the municipal officer responsible.   

Yes, to relocate a structure in Val-des-Monts, be it on the same property or to another one, you need to obtain a relocation permit in advance.

You need an initial permit for the poultry shelter or henhouse, but you don’t need to renew it. However, to relocate the shelter or henhouse, you do need a permit in advance. 

Though you don’t need municipal authorization to alter the soil or terrain on your property, the presence of wetlands, waterways or other factors could limit how much blasting or levelling is allowed there.

Fire safety and prevention

Val-des-Monts has three fire stations, that is, one in each sector:

Val‑des‑Monts doesn’t have any fire hydrants, but its Fire Protection Service has tanker trucks that have access to many water-intake points.

Open-air fires are allowed at the following times if the SOPFEU fire-hazard index doesn’t prohibit them and provided you comply with Article 11.2 of By-law 21-RM-05: weekdays from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m./weekends and statutory holidays from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Burning permits cost $20 and expire after seven days.

Yes, fireworks require a permit; it costs $30

Internet and TV services

We unfortunately don’t have that information in any municipal records. Your best options are to either contact these service providers directly through a Google search or inquire about them with other residents through their Facebook groups.    


Taxation and municipal assessment

You have four options to pay your municipal taxes:

  1. online through your financial institution, by simply adding Municipality Val-des-Monts – Taxes (QC) to your list of payees
  2. in person at the municipal office (1, route du Carrefour, Val-des-Monts (Québec) J8N 4E9), either by cash, cheque, debit or credit
  3. mailing a cheque, made out to Municipalité de Val-des-Monts, to the address given above
  4. online through the Voilà! app.

Below is the payee name we use with the following financial institutions:

  • CAISSE POPULAIRE                                                       MUNICIPALITÉ VAL-DES-MONTS-TAXES (QC)
  • TANGERINE                                                                       VAL DES Monts MUNICIPALITÉ  De TAXES
  • TD CANADA TRUST – 1090                                           VAL-DES-MONTS (MUN DE ) TAXES

The MRC des Collines‑de‑l’Outaouais does our property or municipal assessments. For more information, contact the MRC directly at 819-827‑0516 or consult the Property Assessment section of its website at www.mrcdescollinesdeloutaouais.qc.ca

Environment and urban planning

Yes, you can, from October 15 to April 15. 

Yes, and do note that some companies will refuse to install your pool if you don’t have a permit for it.

Inspections take place in the south sector in even-numbered years, and in the north sector in odd-numbered years. 

No, cargo containers aren’t allowed in the Municipality.

Yes, you need a permit to use your property for short-term rentals. You must renew the permit every calendar year, that is, from January 1 to December 31. 

Roosters are not allowed if you live in a municipal service centre, but yes anywhere else in the Municipality.

You can have four chickens in a municipal service centre and five elsewhere in Val-des-Monts. Remember that you also need a permit if you want to install a henhouse or a shelter, even if it’s smaller than five square metres.

Unfortunately, yes, you are responsible. Not knowing about non-compliance issues before you buy doesn’t confer any rights to you when the property is transferred to you. 

No, you need to have your permit on hand before you start any construction or renovation project.